Thursday, March 25, 2010

Oh Canada Can You See

No. Canada is not apparently needing glasses; I just mixed the two national anthems together in the blog entry title here. Oh great... I've probably just offended both Canadians and Americans! Oh well.

Last night my daughter Brianna and her friend Danielle Després sang to kick off last night's ECHL hockey game between the Idaho Steelheads (affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars) and the visiting Victoria Salmon Kings (affiliate of the NHL's Vancouver Canucks). Somebody help me out here... what, exactly, is a Canuck??? But I digress...

That's "Victoria" by the way, as in British Columbia. Therefore, they first sang the Canadian national anthem, and then the U.S. national anthem. They've done this a couple times before, and it's always fun. I wonder how many people from the U.S. have the Canadian national anthem memorized. Oh well... at least two in Boise do! :-)

Enjoy the videos embedded below. Just for your reference, Brianna is singing the soprano part. It's not in every performance that Brianna sings that really high note at the end, but she decided to last night. It was funny... where I was standing filming, everybody in the stands was facing ME. OK... so they weren't facing me; they were facing the U.S. and Canadian flags behind me. :-)  When Brianna went up to that high note, though, about a third of the people I could see turned and looked at Brianna with an expression like, "Where did that come from?!"

Oh... and who is the guy that shouts after they sing, "I love you Brianna!!!"??? I'm gonna kill 'im! Oh wait a minute... that was ME! :-)

These still shots, by the way, were taken by Mark while I was filming with the other camera. Mark's getting pretty good with a camera!


Brianna and Danielle singing "Oh Canada"


Brianna and Danielle singing "The Star Spangled Banner"

No comments: