Saturday, September 20, 2008

Singapore = Habrichi

Prior to this trip, the furthest south I had ever been in southeast Asia was Hong Kong. So it was kind of fun to go somewhere new. Though my 3-day trip was pretty short, and nearly all of it was spent in my hotel room working or sleeping and/or at the Games Convention Asia conference, I liked Singapore.

My first impression in the taxi ride from the airport to the Intercontinental Hotel was that there were an incredible amount of palm trees everywhere. Man... it was like Hawai'i! Equally as hot and far more humid, but very much like Hawai'i.

My second impression was that they drove on the left. I probably would have noticed that sooner, but I had just come from Japan, where they also drive on the left. Combined with architecture like you see in Britain, and it was just like I was in the U.K.

Then, of course, I noticed that in addition to English-language signs everywhere, there were Chinese-language signs everywhere, too. Being just next door to Malaysia, that made sense, but it seemed just like China.

So... Singapore was like Hawai'i, Britain, and China all rolled in to one. HABRICHI. I like all three, so I thought Singapore was pretty cool.

At the conference, I had a number of meetings, and I gave a presentation in front of about 50 programmers from all over southeast Asia. "Simplifying Cross-Platform Development in a Multi-Core Environment." Talk about exciting!!!

I did go out to dinner with some associates at a shopping/eating/entertainment arcade called "Clarke Quay." Anyway, enjoy the photos.


On approach to the airport in Singapore.


On approach to the airport in Singapore. Looks like snorkeling would be pretty good here, too.


My hotel, the Intercontinental, is the tall building in the foreground. Right behind that is an interesting-looking building that is the National Public Library.


The Raffles Hotel at night. Love the architecture. My hotel was about a 10-minute walk to the convention center, and this hotel was en route.


The Raffles Hotel by day.

There are signs saying that this is the largest fountain in the world. Hmmm... maybe. I suppose it was about 40 feet tall.

The tallest fountain in the world. This is right at the edge of the Suntec City Mall, one of the most American-looking malls I've ever seen outside of Asia.

More of the tallest fountain in the world.

I thought the really tall dudes (dewdettes?) holding big white balls at the top of this building were interesting.

A bridge over the water at Clarke Quay.

Reflections in the water at Clarke Quay.

More Clarke Quay.

No comments: