Sunday, June 15, 2008

Hachiko / "Times Square" of Tokyo

Wow... what a nice, lazy Father's Day Sunday here in Japan. Didn't do much, but this evening, I took DB (my associate, David Brame) down to Shibuya, which is called by many the "Times Square" of Tokyo. There certainly are a bazillion people walking around down there!!! And with all the neon, it does indeed remind one of Times Square in NYC.

The Shibuya train station features a statue of "Hachiko" - the beloved, loyal dog that went to Shibuya station every day to look for his master (way back in the 1920s). It's a very cute story, supposedly very well-known in Japan; we even have a children's book about Hachiko at home (in English, of course). For the story of Hachiko, you can click here.

DB being a rather simple guy like me, I also thought he would appreciate a nice, simple American PIZZA meal!!! I knew there was a Shakeys Pizza Parlor in Shibuya, so we went there. DB and I were not disappointed - it tasted quite yummy! :-)

Though the pictures do NOT do Shibuya justice, below are a couple of photos I took in Shibuya this evening. Enjoy...

No comments: