Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ugly Day / Ugly Dewd in Shanghai

This afternoon, my associate and I took The Bund Sightseeing Tunnel, from the Pudong side of the Huangu River, to The Bund side. It was an interesting little sub-terranean/sub-river tram ride that was like a good acid trip minus the drugs. I took video of the return trip; I may post that in a subsequent posting.

But it's been kind of a gross day out. Thick cloud cover with periods of rain all day. This picture to the right is taken from The Bund, looking toward Pearl Tower. The cloud cover is so thick that you can't even see the top of Pearl Tower. As many times as I've been to Shanghai, I've never been to the top of that; with the cloud cover today, it wouldn't be a good day for it, either.

But not only was the DAY ugly, I discovered an ugly DEWD, as well. We went past a vendor in the museum area of The Bund Sightseeing Tunnel, that for 160 quai (about $23) would make a figurine of you out of clay. I went ahead and did this, just for the fun of it. Pictures below.

Here the vendor is sculpting me from clay, blue-and-white stripes on my shirt, and everything!

The finished product. Now... why oh WHY has somebody not had the heart to tell me I'm this ugly???!!!

Me standing by the Huangu River; that's our hotel (Oriental Riverside Hotel) directly behind me, with the globe-type things on either side of it.

No comments: