Saturday, February 9, 2008

Kyoto: Sanzen-in Temple

After a business meeting in Kyoto earlier this week, I wanted to go check out some more of Kyoto. Having been to Kyoto many times, I've seen just about all the major temples there, so I wanted to go check something out that I had never seen before. So I went to the Sanzen-in Temple.

This is in the Ohara area, sort of in the mountains about a 45-minute taxi ride from downtown Kyoto. Depending on whom you believe, this was first built in either 767 or 985 (though it has been reconstructed a few times over) - at any rate, it's OLD!

Anyway... I thought it was really pretty, especially with snow on it. Check out the couple of photos placed herein, but for all 35 photos I've posted, please click here.

I really love Kyoto. Kyoto is where the capitol of Japan used to be until the late 1800s, and the area is absolutely steeped in tradition. Fun place!

No comments: