Monday, November 12, 2007

Eat it before it runs (swims) off!!!

Hating to do a posting without putting a photo along with it, I'm putting up this picture that I just took from my 30th floor hotel room window. I really love Tokyo nights.

In this fair city, though, tonight we ate at a restaurant that serves fresh seafood. "How fresh?" you ask. Thanks for asking - I thought you never would! Some of the food they bring you is still twitching. One dish they brought out was anago (eel), and it was twitching (I daresay "flopping") pretty vigorously. They also brought out a very twitchy tako (even though it's pronounced the same as the folded, stuffed corn shell Mexican food we all love, this is actually octopus).

I enjoyed both twitching sea creatures, but the non-twitching fugu I ate was absolutely awesome!!! "Fugu" is the poisonous blowfish you have probably heard about. But worry not, only the liver of this turkey is toxic, and here in eastern Japan, the government doesn't even allow this portion to be served. In western Japan, they CAN server fugu liver, up to a one-third fatal dose. But I don't care for liver, nor do I care for toxins, so I don't think I'll pass.

Absolutely EXCELLENT dinner tonight, and very reasonably priced. About the only bad part of the evening was that I forgot to take my camera! :-(

No comments: