Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tribute: Barbara Jean Wilcox Goodale

Three years ago to nearly this exact hour, I checked in to a hotel in Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan, to find the following e-mail waiting from Michelle:
Hi John. Please call me as soon as you land, even if it is late. The kids are fine but I need to talk to you.
Thus began probably one of the loneliest days of my life, as I sat around Tokyo waiting for the next available flight home to be with family. Michelle informed me that my mother, Barbara Jean Wilcox Goodale, had passed away while I was en route to Japan. It's ironic that I again find myself in Japan, on this the third anniversary of my mother's death.

Hence herein I pay tribute to mom. Mom and I had a tradition: I would call her on the way to the airport every time I went out of town. Therefore, we actually spoke pretty often. Mom didn't pick up the phone that morning on my way to LAX, and I missed that last chance to talk to her. Even now, three years later, each time I head to the airport, I wish I could call mom.

Mom: I miss your wisdom, your wit, and even your complaints that my life is too busy. It still is. But I'm a better man today because of your love and concern, and the way you raised me. Thank you for providing a life for me grounded in solid principals. Thank you for teaching me how to love my kids. Thank you for teaching me to respect women, which attribute caused me to marry the greatest woman in the world!!! Thank you for teaching me the value of hard work and perseverance. Thank you for teaching me to appreciate the many great blessings I have in life. Thank you for teaching me the principal, "Privilege equals responsibility" - it's a motto that has stuck with me and continues to guide me today, as I try to be responsible with the privileges granted me.

I miss you, Mom, and I look forward to the day when we can be together again, in a much better place.

Like I did for Michelle's brother, Michael, I have posted a lot of pictures of Mom (and family) on our Flickr site (click here). Below, though, are just a couple of fun photos:

Boston, Massachussetts, April 9, 2001. We took mom with us on a 15-day vacation to the East coast, more than six years ago. What a GREAT time we had!!! Here, mom is standing with Justin, Brianna, Andrew, me (holding Steven), Mark, Christopher and Michelle (and our guide at the Boston Tea Party site). Mom was very patriotic, and really enjoyed all of the national historical spots we visited.

We figure that this shot was taken some time in the mid-1940s. I like this shot, in particular, because Mom has signed the picture.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Sweet tribute to your mother. She sounds like she was a wonderful woman. She had to have been, just look at her son!

Anonymous said...

Thank you John. Cute picture of mom and me. I miss her very much too and say ditto to all that she taught us as you so eloquently stated. Barbara Ellen